Monday 2 February 2009

Day 2 - Having Deja-vu...

I finally got with the 09 program today when I finally started my new gig (the six month internship at the radio station). I was bright and early and anxious as to what lay ahead.I wondered how many more of us wannabees there were.
Ten(equally anxious) faces looked back at me as I walked into the reception. One more chick was missing. Numbers were split equally along gender lines, complete with the token white boy.
And I tried to put on my poker face. It was like walking into the set of a reality TV show. Weird how that was my first point of reference. Clearly I have been watching way way way too much TV.
To break the ice, I said as much...
A girl with a ginger/blond wig/weave set up (a la Kate Hudson, complete with bangs) concurred.
"And we already have the bitch." she added with a cackle.
Ok, it was not so much a cackle. And no, she didn't mean I was the bitch. She was poking fun at herself. Besides Bitch is a strong word, let's rather go with witch.
I was too nervous to laugh and too cautious to agree. So I just raised my eyebrows.
"Well, as long as that role is filled." I offered.
She took it. Very well infact.
Oh, who am I kidding she loved the attention.
And I thought back to all those times, that I had watched the Apprentice, Survivor, The Real World, Big Brother and how I always ended up hating this sort of person or worse loving to hate them.
Aaaawwwwww... I wanted to be that person... well not so much... that person never wins the audience vote....
What?! Wait! but this isn't reality TV, it's real life with a reality TV spin. Or real life being real life. Life can't imitate art.... can it?!
Either way, I was about to meet Donald Trump and his aides.
I also got to know the others a lil.
lets round up the women...
There's the Jill Scott look-a-like.. she's warm and engaging, with the cutest splash of freckles on her cheeks. She has already been dubbed "Mother" by the "Witch". Great.. the cliche roles are being filled nicely.
There are the twins... well, they aren't twins rather party girls that seemed to click from the get go. Think Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan. They tell it how they see it and have already expressed their disdain for the Witch.
And then there's the Cinderella.. she's rather quiet and keeps to herself. Besides she had a rather hectic first day. They worked her to the bone. Can't do too much talking when you are caught between a boss sandwich (hah ha urbandictionary word of the day... glad I could use it in a sentence...)
Now for the boys...
Honestly all day, there was no talent... Getting over the ex would prove to be difficult especially without some proper distractions.
Ait.. you know about the white boy... well he also knows more vernac than me and if it wasn't for his obvious paleness, he would a , for all intensive purposes, a fellow black brother...
There's the slightly camp dude and at the risk of this being used against me for litigation purposes, he is very sweet and very much like one of the girls... Complete with a coach bag and pull back cornrows...
There's the rock loving black dude...but he don't really dress the part.. he is White Boy's BFF...
While the guy that dresses punk rock is into hip hop... slightly confusing...
And then there's this other strange dude that says weird things but doesn't even realise it.
Not hot.
That's everyone I think.
Our Donald Trump demands as much respect and I am starting to think that this is not to be a lovely stroll in the park. Much more hectic. Should be interesting either way.
I've been paired up with White Boy as we go on our fortnightly department runs.
I think he may have the One Upper Syndrome. Good times.
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment